View Single Post
Old August 30, 2021   #10
Altmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Altmer's Favorite
Macehead

I want some of those beasts lol. I doubt I could grow them as well, though.

2 ft staked, 1-2 stems. Sounds good. What latitude are you at? Ontario is rather large. I'm right around 40N. When OR117 sees a lot of sun, they seem to mush up. That is about the nearest to type I have grown, compared to those things.

Thanks for posting it.

Re: WTS - I thought I recognized that name. The WTS is not welcome here, per ownership. The story is on the first sticky of the general forum.

I go to Tatiana's for info.
Macehead is very descriptive. I love the name haha! Gives it a bit of a high-fantasy feel.

I'm at 43.25 in southern Ontario. Typically, tomato planting is done here after May 24 (June 1st is safest according to my grandmother, and 3 of the last 4 springs she's been right). I get mushy cherry and medium globe/beefsteak tomatoes on a lot of the first ones that ripen, which I always associate with the flowers having been exposed to cooler temps earlier in the season. Temps can change so drastically here—a night with temps at 5-6 Celsius can quickly become 33 degrees the next day.

I was disappointed in the WTS; as a place promoting heirloom, there was certainly a lot of red tape and paywalls. It's a good idea but maybe not in those hands. I'll look at Tatiana's!

I'd be happy to send you some seeds at end of season if it's permitted here.
Altmer is offline   Reply With Quote