View Single Post
Old July 6, 2021   #23
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my grandma gina/uncle steve cross seems to tolerate cooler weather as well as
my uncle steve bean. once again, i had bad luck with the weather. bean seeds were planted early june with temps in the 70s, and 80s. a few days later, that east wind
kicked up, and it went down into the 50s for a few days, and rained. not very friendly bean weather. some varieties planted came up poorly and looking rough. uncle steve
came up fine as did the cross. nearly every seed planted came up. i planted about eighty seeds, maybe more of the four different seed types from the cross.

planted are a medium purple seed that produced a later maturing green bean with
very little purple mottling. this one could be a challenge saving seed year to year.
also planted are a brown with black mottling seed, a black seed similar to grandma gina, and a light tan seed with purple whorls similar to uncle steve. the beans that produced those three seed types all appeared similar to each other. they were a flat pod green bean with purple streaks or whorls that were closer in size to uncle steve, maybe 7 to 9 inches long. grandma gina is huge, maybe a foot long bean with pods being an inch wide. i should have plenty of beans to eat, and also to save seed from.
can't wait to try them.

hey gary, were you able to get the seeds i sent you in the ground?

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; July 6, 2021 at 08:35 PM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote