View Single Post
Old June 22, 2021   #5
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Can't say from the picture, in any case fusarium is a strong possibility.
The plants don't look that good, where did you see any N excess, I mostly see a big N deficiency (and P, and possibly others). It is quite that the deficiencies are caused by poor root function due to fusarium I guess.

Hmm, okay. We went ahead and purchased over a dozen new tomatoes this weekend from the nursery, and put them into the basic SWC setup using two 5 gallon buckets. I know there are better ways, but we were pressed for time, hopefully, not too late in the season here in coastal southern california.

I did not take pictures of the ones with N excess. The vines were thick, the tops curled inwards with new leaves coming out super mangled. A couple also had stalks growing from the blossom stems, with blossom drop. A few weeks of deep watering, and the few plants with excess are returning to normal. I'm drawing a conclusion that too much feathermeal does this.. I had exact same symptoms last year in my pots when I added a small handful of left-over feathermeal. The tomatoes had a terribly mealy texture, but still tasted good.
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote