View Single Post
Old March 13, 2021   #21
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

The best sticks I have used are the tops off the arbor vitae row I cut down. Most I cut to 8-10ft, the base being 3-4" and tapering to the tip. I reused them multiple times for trellises and teepees and still am using most.

I never had enough so I had also got some bamboo that was being cut down at someone's property - found that through Craigslist. I don't know how popular bamboo is out in Nebraska but around here someone will think it is a good idea, then up and move, leaving a spreading mess. It is not something I would purchase when there is plenty around that people want gone for free.

First thing I would do is check the local ads/facebook marketplace/craigslist suitable material and not be afraid to float an add asking for such. Put a flyer up at the post office - natural bean poles wanted - bamboo or light long branches.

I honestly don't know what they sell at walmart when it comes to bamboo. If you give it some triangles it should be strong enough. A single bamboo pole stuck in the ground (cantilever) is not going to be real strong and is going to want to snap just at or below ground level when loaded with beans and the wind is up. I went to my old standby last year (after some poles broke) of sinking a rebar right next to the post, and zip tying the pole to the rebar. I got them back up and I don't even know if I lost any beans, but next time I will put the rebar in when I sink the pole.

This is what I was re assembling each year until last year when I just tried single poles and 4 pole teepees. The trellis works great, but the owls didn't work at all. My pole beans got hammered that year at the comm garden. Most people had bush beans in early, and the bean beetles were hot and heavy just as my pole beans started to finally produce. Then the next year, not nearly as many bean beetles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (159.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (149.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by JRinPA; March 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote