View Single Post
Old March 11, 2021   #16
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This is what Tatiana has to say about the history of Rutgers:

History
Developed at the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, from a cross between Marglobe and J.T.D. (an old New Jersey variety from the Campbell Soup Co.).
It was first released in 1928 and then again in 1943 (as Rutgers Improved). The 1928 release was indeterminate, and the 1943 release is basically what we have today.
1958 Gleckler Catalog description:
"RUTGERS (Indiana Strain) (72 Days)
A superior strain of Rutgers, re-selected and supervised at Purdue University. Slightly earlier and much more productive than the original 290 strain as it came from New jersey. Fruit quality and color like-wise are greatly improved. Fruits are smooth, slightly flattened at the stem-end, deep red color ripening from the interior outward. Thick walls, small seed cavities with very few seeds from very solid fruits. Plants are large, thick stems with dense foliage protecting fruits from sunburn. To get maximum yield from Rutgers, soil must not be over supplied with nitrogen. A heavy application of phosphate is recommended to insure early ripening and ...? the entire harvest."

This is my commentary:

I grew out Rutgers for a brother-in-law when he was no longer able (or wanted) to work in the garden. This was the only variety he would plant because it was the only one he had ever tried. All the hardware stores had Rutgers and was the most popular tomato here in the midwest for many years until the other round, red Boys showed up.

No wonder he stuck his nose up at the "good" tomatoes I gave him to try. I found Rutgers to be small, round and red without much flavor. I think the meatiness was good for canning and that is why it was so popular. The box stores still sell lots of Rutgers, but shelf space is getting less and less as the original growers age out.

After a couple of years growing Rutgers, I have never given this less than average variety any space.

Last edited by PaulF; March 11, 2021 at 11:35 AM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote