View Single Post
Old February 27, 2021   #16
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Here's a little update on my Dwarfs.

It's been a beautiful slightly breezy day today (Feb 27) so I took my dwarfs out for a little fresh air and a "photo shoot."

I'm doing the seedlings Kratky style with DE in 2" net cups starting with plain tap water and now using very dilute Maxi-Gro 10-5-14 for my nutrient solution. They were started from seed on Jan 30. Some of them are in Boost Bottles and some are in net cups over nutrient solution in Activia cups.

Before the roots coming though the slats in the net cups get too big, I'll tease the seedlings out of the cups and transfer them to basins or buckets with stems supported by cloning collars (as seen in the photo of my 5 Mountain Gem seedlings sitting over an 8 quart basin).

I've also got a side by side photo with a Boronia dwarf (in a 8 oz - 237ml - Boost bottle) and a Mountain Gem determinate (in a 591ml Gatorade bottle). The top of the Mountain Gem is at about 10-1/2." The plant without the root part is about 4-1/2." The Mountain Gem seeds were started on Jan 24 so they're 6 days older than the dwarfs. The dwarfs were slower to germinate.

After a while, I'll pot them up in WonderSoil and when the weather's right, plant them in the garden soil or give away. I MAY try one of the dwarfs in Kratky, but I expect it might require too much maintenance.

Anyway, so far so good! The dwarfs are really beautiful little things - so cute!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MtGem3.jpg (190.6 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg MGem2-22721.jpg (192.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg dwarfs2-22721.jpg (181.2 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by aclum; February 27, 2021 at 06:59 PM. Reason: corrected seed starting dates
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote