View Single Post
Old February 24, 2021   #14
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Tomatoes have a strong transition from juvenile growth to the adult reproductive phase. This transition is triggered by being rootbound which pushes the plant to flower and set fruit. A plant that has a load of fruit when set out will rarely grow as large as a rapidly growing seedling that is still in the juvenile phase. I always caution strongly against setting out large 2 ft to 5 ft tall plants that have been grown in 1 gallon pots. These plants are rootbound and will almost always be less productive than a similar plant in a 5 gallon container.

I give 2 standard recommendations:
1. In long season areas, set out small but healthy and rapidly growing seedlings from 6 to 12 inches tall. These give best results and usually produce the most fruit.
2. In shorter season areas and/or to have earlier ripe fruit, set out larger plants that are in a minimum 5 gallon container. These plants can be difficult to manage, but will produce earlier and just about as much fruit as a small seedling in a long season climate.
Do I understand correctly that the key variable is rootboundness? If so, the key is knowing (approximately of course) at what "plant height to container size ratio" a plant becomes rootbound. I see an assumption that 12 inch plant may well start getting rootbound in a one gallon container. Is that right?
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote