View Single Post
Old February 19, 2021   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think it makes a big difference where you live and what circumstances you have available as far as starting seedlings. For example, in your Canadian garden doing things the same way someone in a longer season area does theirs may not be as successful. The difference in varieties grown are innumerable and no one method works for each person.
I have a small backyard greenhouse and for myself I aim for big vigorous and often budding transplants but it’s the greenhouse that makes that possible so I can hold big transplants in good conditions until it is warm enough to plant them out. Waiting for Warm temperatures outdoors especially adequate night time temperatures before transplanting out is really important as they will settle in and take off much faster than if they are in cold ground in cold weather. There are a great many variables as Craig says and each of us find our own methods.
For myself large budded vigorous transplants put out in good weather in good soil, take off without a hitch and I always expect ripe large tomatoes before the end of July in my Canadian garden both in the Edmonton area previously and now out on the west coast in a pnw maritime climate and as far as varieties go, many of my best successes have been with eastern European heirlooms and my own crosses bred for my Canadian gardens Neither area I have lived in is nearly as good for tomato growing I would say as the Ottawa area in southern Ontario.
It can be done and big transplants of Midseason varieties planted in good conditions work for me for significantly earlier ripe tomatoes in my gardens
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; February 19, 2021 at 01:37 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote