View Single Post
Old March 14, 2006   #4
eclectusuk
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLife
Bagora,
Alot of questions. First the green house.
This is your first year? How did you grow last year
that you talk about? The green house should be
air tight in the winter to hold heat.any gaps youare talking about should be closed. There should be some kind of
vents, windows, doors that by opening and closeing will let
you regulate the heat. Most people open vents in the day if the sun warms it to much. If no sun help then a
gas/propane type heater is used. Air tight a night.
1.5 deg f ? difference is no difference.
Seedling could have frost damage to colytons and is why
they are dieing. I don't know what temps you are
getting in Scot but I imagine than are not warm.
Seal your green house and get a propane heater to
run untill the house is aleast 50 deg f.
carefull with the carbon monox when entering the
house.
Wildlife, thanks for the reply, would a propane heater be ok for my 8 x 6 and I've read it causes lots of moisture, and when you say to seal the greenhouse in winter doesn't the fumes from the heater need some sort of ventilation?

1.5 oC it was, sorry I should have made that clear.

I have an automatic vent and sliding door for ventilation during any hot days we get.

I did grow last year but from 7 Alicante plants (my first time) there were really only 3 that cropped well. I also had jalapenos that didn't crop well and an Apache chilli plant that did great. I tried cucumber and aubergine but they came to nothing. I think a lot of it was down to the poor compost I bought for the pots, this year I'm using growbags.

I don't know if it would be frost damage to the colytons, the plants are at a window sill that has a radiator underneath although the window can be draughty as I noticed last night with the wind blowing on it. I've added 2 desklamps with a 40 watt cf and a 20 watt cf to them. Can I give them 24/7 of this or just use it at night?

The first set of true leaves are out although the colytons are withered, do you think its time to repot and that maybe the seedling compost is spent?

Thanks

eclectusuk is offline   Reply With Quote