View Single Post
Old September 20, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Good idea with the overshoes. I found that Merrell makes a few waterproof shoes that work great in the garden. They are actually nice looking shoes and they last a long time. I use them when it is cold or if it is wet or even if I am doing anything messy like watering or spraying. I felt guilty wearing a pair of new 100 dollar shoes out in the garden but since I got a good five years off the first pair before they started to leak a bit it seemed like a fair deal. I really hate having to change wet sneakers two or three times a day when working in wet conditions.

I'm not sure how much rain Sally dropped on us but it was more than likely over 10 inches. My rain gauge was too small for measuring that much water in 24 hours. It could only tell me for sure of 7 1/2 inches but the various buckets around the yard and garden showed me that it could be anywhere from around 10 to 14 inches. I have a friend a few miles away that measured 12 1/2 inches from two gauges. A couple of friends of mine can't even go in their gardens from the standing water and deep mud. I was able to get out into mine the next day with no problems due to being on top of a high hill and having all raised beds that drain really well.

I am loving the cooler weather and hope it lasts. We better enjoy it because around here a cool September is rarer than a hot January.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote