View Single Post
Old July 19, 2020   #3
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Oh geez I saw this "last of the corn's in" and brownrexx's name and I thought, how the heck?... The forum format still gets me turned around when it comes to threads, started versus last post.

So you do two pickings? When they start coming here I pick every day until there are too many ripe to eat, then I'll pick the rest of the row. Also funny that you are putting the corn rows into peas. I just planted my second corn where I pulled the peas out. Some years, last year included, I do go corn into fall peas as well.

I have some ears formed here...pollination started started right around when we had a bunch of rain a week or so back. I'm not happy about that. Rain the week before would have been great, but not when dropping the dust. I didn't get a chance to get out and hand pollinate any either. Last year this "incredible" was very strong with filled rows but pollination weather was dry. I have some silk turning brown, but not as much as I'd like to see. Also saw a butternut vine at the top of a corn stalk and had to put it back in its place.

I put more corn in a couple weeks back. 150 double seeded soil blocks while it was dry, then some seed right before 3" of rain. They came up quick and should catch up. Last year was the first year getting corn in the freezer. Whole cobs squared and vacuum sealed, not blanched, turned out best. It was nice and I can only hope at this point that it turns out as well as last year.

I might buy some silver queen for next year, but I still have quite a bit of seed. 2lb goes for a bit. Germination was still above 90% for this seed bought January 2019.

Pics of my peas to okra/late corn. The okra just started flowering the other day. That is about 110 corn blocks planted there.

I don't seem to have any recent pics of my first corn. Those are a couple weeks old at least. The scapes were starting to straighten out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101.JPG (125.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 102.JPG (123.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 103.JPG (121.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 104.JPG (104.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 105.JPG (116.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (167.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (151.1 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by JRinPA; July 19, 2020 at 02:09 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote