View Single Post
Old April 9, 2020   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Kratky and plant height

As I'd mentioned in another thread, due to the CV restrictions here in CA, the gardeners haven't been able to come and do the usual spring cleanup for me. Right now I have plants about ready to transplant and the raised beds are a jungle of weeds! It could be a month or more until I can plant out.

Rather than potting up repeatedly or letting the plants get rootbound until the garden's ready, I've decided to give the Kratky passive hydroponic system a try. My plan is to eventually transplant the tomatoes into the raised bed soil.

Here's an interesting video showing the root growth in Kratky and the transplanting into soil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWcVDi4_1cU

Anyway, I'm thinking I may have to keep some of my plants in my 3.5 gallon Kratky buckets and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how tall Bradley, Mountain Gem, and Heidi plants get. Since they're semi-determinate, I'm hoping I can get by without trellising them. I'm thinking of maybe using a large cone cage for peppers and tomatoes (supposedly) secured through holes in the bucket lid might work.

Thanks for any info or opinions!
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote