View Single Post
Old January 8, 2020   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

There are a lot of small to medium early cabbages out there and it seems all of them I have tried have done well at one time or another. Some of them are almost too small for anything other than boiled cabbage for one or two small portion types. The advantage of those very early small cabbages is that they are some of the best tasting but they don't usually get very big and the seeds are usually pricey. Despite their drawbacks we like the taste of many and usually grow at least four or five varieties each year. I found one market cabbage called Golden Acre that makes a medium size tight head that is good for just about anything and the seeds are cheap. It holds well in the garden and is one of the more dependable and tasty varieties I have found. Just a good all round variety. If you want a tasty large headed variety you might want to try Capture it did really well the last two years but there is no way the wife and I can eat even half of one boiled so we always had a half in the fridge waiting to be eaten. It was ideal if you needed slaw for ten though.

I found a little trick that seemed to make my cabbage grow larger and faster last year. I sprinkled a good handful of ashes from my charcoal grill around each one then watered them well with my usual liquid fertilizer. I was amazed at how much larger than usual they were. Maybe it was a fluke so I guess I will have to try it again this year and see if it works as well again. I know one thing some of the usually very small early cabbages came out almost medium size which was a first.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote