View Single Post
Old November 26, 2019   #223
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Sari, those slices look so nice and even throughout!! Good job. What seasonings did you use?
Thanks, I mixed the everything together with the dough hook on my mixer, which made the result much better than the hand mixed batch.

Previous batch had bit too much onion taste, since I used dehydrated garlic scapes and cold smoked dried garlic. This time I used one large and two small cloves of pressed fresh garlic. Other seasonings are a lot of peppercorns (mixture of green, white and black), coriander seed, allspice, dried hot peppers and paprika. I ground all spices together in a mortar. Many recipes list mustard seeds, but I did not use those. I could have made this even bit more spicier by using more hot peppers. I taste test the meat mixture before stuffing by frying a small amount in a pan, but I am afraid that the hotness may intensify while curing so I did not add any seasoning after tasting. Next time I make it hotter. I am making the sausages now in small batches, since I am learning and experimenting with the methods and seasonings and have to make sure that there is not too much waste, if my experimenting fails.

Sari