Thread: Did I do wrong?
View Single Post
Old October 23, 2019   #1
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Default Did I do wrong?

For the first time ever, I, with help from DH & Mom, made elderberry jelly today.

DH bought me a jar of powdered pectin. I had about 3 1/2 cups of elderberry juice. At the last minute I realized I had no measurement for how much pectin to use. I googled "How much pectin" and the first thing that came up was this:

"1 tbsp of pectin powder gels 4 cups of fruit. Use 2 tbsp. per 8 cups of fruit. The standard jam recipe is 8 cups of fruit, 6 to 8 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice."

https://joybileefarm.com › how-to-use-bulk-pectin-to-make-jam-peach-jam

If you read the article, she says these measurements are for other fruits as well.

I believed the first thing I read on the Internet.

So I used a little over 1 tablespoon of pectin for 3 1/2 cups of juice. Also added the requisite lemon juice & nearly 6 cups of sugar.

Cooking and pressure canning happened. The cute little jars are sitting in the kitchen now. The stuff inside hasn't jelled. I went back to the internet to search other sites and it seems the amount others recommend is closer to 6 tablespoons of pectin.

Is my jelly ruined? If it's supposed to be 6+ tablespoons of pectin, should I add the other 5 tablespoons when I take the jars apart & re-cook it? I'm agonizing over this.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote