View Single Post
Old September 14, 2019   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I still have a couple of tomato beds with producing plants. My oldest one was set out way back in late March and only has about 8 plants still alive out of the original twenty but I just hate pulling them up because three of the plants are still producing large tomatoes on vines over 15 feet long. I also have had more bell pepper plants that are continuing to produce abundantly than most years so that's a couple more beds that aren't available yet. I am also growing two beds with Pappadew peppers for sauce which I try to make every two years and they produce the best in late fall. I guess I will just have to clear out one or two tomato beds and one pepper bed and I might just have to get rid of the okra bed because I have got to have somewhere to plant fall stuff.

I have fall beans in the greenhouse ready to set out but nowhere to put them. I do have a nice fence of fall cucumbers that are producing really well but they need constant watering in this heat. I am afraid it is going to end up being one of those falls like last year where the hot dry weather lasts well into November but I am keeping my fingers crossed for some rain and cooler weather.

I haven't even started any of my normal fall crops except to test the germination on some of my older seed. It is still too hot to get good germination with daily temps hitting near 100. We did have one day where it only got into the low 90s but I need to see some nights in the low 60s and days in the 80s before starting all those seed because I can't keep the greenhouse cool enough to keep them alive the way the temperatures are running now

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote