View Single Post
Old August 29, 2019   #4
shule1

I'm not in zone 4, quite, but I've grown Oroma a number of times in a number of conditions. It was never prolific for me, however, but I'm in a dry climate with hot and sunny summers, and maybe it needed soil amendments (such as calcium and potassium).

In 2016, I grew a plant in the ground with full sun that was overwatered, in compact soil (no mulch or such). It got a few small fruit. I also grew one in a raised bed that year with moderate watering and shade. It did better than the one in the ground, and got larger more well-formed fruit, and more of them, but not so many as for me to say it was prolific.

In 2017, I grew a plant with very little water in the ground with a little shade from a currant bush. It got a lot of BER, but did better than the one in full sun the previous year, and worse than the one in the raised bed in 2016.

In 2018, I grew it in an area with full sun with black plastic and very little water. It got BER just like in 2017 and did similarly.

I used new saved seeds each subsequent year.

By 2019, I didn't want to grow it. I preferred Sausage on all accounts. I'd rather grow regular Roma, too.

Oroma could probably do decently in Wisconsin as well as in western Oregon, Washington and such areas, but that's just a guess. It's parthenocarpic; so, it's probably designed for cool areas. We get very hot, dry and sunny summers where I live, though. It was bred in western Oregon, I believe, where I believe they have long, but cool, wet, and not-so-sunny seasons.

Coyote should do really nicely in a cold area. The early part of our season is pretty cool, and Coyote grew noticeably faster than anything else, this year (and fruited well then, too). Coyote does have a lot of leaves, though (and it doesn't have an open habit that makes it easy to see the fruit when caged). The fruit is also not ripe when it first looks ripe. It needs to stay on the vine a long time after that in my garden.

I have Orange Banana seeds (never grown it).

Last edited by shule1; August 29, 2019 at 12:32 AM.