View Single Post
Old August 12, 2019   #56
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

August 11th, 2019

Tried the pickles after 4 days (recipe suggested 4 days) and they were salty and still had a slight cucumber taste but not sour enough. I'm going to test them again next weekend.

No bats in the Bathouses yet.

The fig tree on the deck has exploded and is loaded with figs.

Still picking, slicing and freezing Okra, I have been trying to get out twice a day, especially on the weekends.

My perennial Herb Garden is doing real well.

Tomatoes are still setting fruit but everything is green, I'm getting a ripe tomato or two a day. Mostly on my Abe Lincolns. The Big Beef and Beefmaster plants are growing taller every day.

The garden is pretty much just coasting right now. I'm getting less sun on some of my beds, so I'm trying to take advantage of that.

Planted some of My Rocky Top Lettuce Mix and some Romaine in the side hugel bed, sacrificed a Black Beauty eggplant plant that wasn't doing much of anything to make room for the lettuce.

I have had a rough time with my Black Beauty Eggplants this year, some of the fruit just starts rotting. I have had the most luck with my Rosa Bianca Eggplant.
It's also been a bad year for peppers but I believe some of that was my fault (planting out too early) and the Aphid Problem.

I tied back the Asparagus because it was covering the walkway into the yard.

I caved and Installed a "root" bed. I was a bit reluctant to do so, but I usually end up throwing a grow bag up here on the step anyhow. I also caved and picked up two bags of Kellog Raised Bed Mix and a bag of Black Kow. I usually get my compost and mulch from the city recycle center.

In the bottom of the new bed I tossed in some grass clippings, an old eggplant plant and some spent cut flowers, topped with a bag of Kellogs, then a bag of Black Kow then another bag of Kellog, mixed real well and watered.

The bed was planted with Red Beets, this will be my last attempt at red beets.

Ripped out the SVB vacation home, I'm still unsure what plant this was. I did have another plant that looks to be a cantaloupe, I left that in the ground to see what happens.

I have diligently been checking on the Cantaloupe and Butternut Squash and I don't see any issues with SVB's or Squash bugs yet.

Nothing like spending quality time with your daughter picking Maggots!

Sweet Revenge.

We also made sure their vacation home was destroyed.

Some more unwanted critters.

The reason I will not be growing Beefmaster next year.

Made some Cowboy Candy and a Cowboy Candy Chutney (experiment). For the chutney I roasted a Red Marconi and some poblanos, chopped then added the Cowboy Candy Syrup and water-bath canned.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote