View Single Post
Old August 10, 2019   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

According to what I read, about 10% of emissions is from food waste.
I looked for info on composting and it said that aerobic composting is the way to go, to minimize losses and of course, prepare some carbon rich material to go into the garden. So the old heaps that I make are good. Layers of straw keep the pile aerated.
I have potatoes growing in my piles this year and more from years past. I scraped up the residues from an old pile that had russetts in it a few years ago, to make a small bed. Before I had time to plant anything, they were up. They must be really deep in the ground to have turned into perennials. The compost pile from last winter and early spring, I tossed out some fingerlings that had sprouts about two feet long, and covered them over. Sure enough they survived after all. I've been piling them up with weeds or sods and I hope they're making spuds.
And now I have reds sprouting out of the current pile since the spring as well. These are maybe too late to make spuds, I hope not. In any case their roots are stabilizing whatever is breaking down I suppose. The reds that I planted were sprouty old supermarket things. Putting food waste to work on carbon capture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russet-volunteers.JPG (257.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg russets-aug10.JPG (296.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg fingerling-volunteers.JPG (340.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg fingerlings-august10.JPG (293.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg potatocompost-3.JPG (319.2 KB, 137 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote