View Single Post
Old July 29, 2019   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
After years in Wisconsin, I'm still not used to the growing season in Virginia. Just said to my wife - I've got to plant a later crop of tomatoes! Long vines are not fairing well in the sunny hot summer this year.

JEff
You really should consider starting some tomatoes so they can go in the ground from May into July. This year it was so hot in my greenhouse that I was unable to grow any new plants after the middle of May so my latest plants were set out in late May and the first week of June. Down here I like to set my last plants out the last week of July for the very reason you stated. Those old long vines don't fare so well as time goes on in this southern heat and humidity. It gets to be a diminishing return for the work you do and after about 4 months many of the vines are in such bad shape it is far easier and more productive to replace them. Since I was so early putting my last vines out it will be a challenge to have good fall tomatoes right up til frost like I usually have.

My best results with late tomatoes usually comes from staggered plantings that are set out in June and July. By that time most of my earliest set outs are in real decline though many are still producing a few good fruits which usually keeps me from pulling them when I should.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote