View Single Post
Old July 19, 2019   #54
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Lots of green everywhere, have had a great crop of the early leafies and herbs. Exhausted the first batch of lettuce and early cabbage. The last few lettuces bolted, along with a new batch of baby choys -they turned into flower and became bees food, which is fine.

This cabbage is from the larger variety I'm growing and the heart should be over 4 pounds, and still growing.
big-cab.jpg

After planting in the spring, I had many leftover seedlings/smaller plants, a large variety. I kept a bunch of extra lettuce, thinking they may come in handy. Some were hiding in the bed, protected by other foliage, and watered just by rain or the lawn sprinklers. Found some that got large enough to eat, their roots went through the tiny 2 in square pots into the soil below. you can see the small red and green plastic cubes.

new-sylvias.jpg

So I transplanted a second crop of Sylvias.

You can see a few bug holes in the pics, as usual and due to balanced mix laziness and stubbornness, I held back spraying, until a week ago when I started seeing cuke beetles and stink bugs here and there. So I mixed up a batch and gave them a good soak. Problem solved for a while at least.

DW asked for an herb garden for this year, so allocated much space in the beds for that. The first batch of cilantro is spent, had more than we could eat, so the rest will be used as coriander, both green and later dried. The bees loved this patch and would spend all day buzzing it with me nearby. Left of it is some flat parsley.
cilantro.jpg
Those too were volunteers from last years crop, all of them. I did start a separate, later batch as well, many of these herbs have a short lifetime green.

Here's one type of basil, we just pinch the leaves and use as needed. To the right of it is some curley parsley, we use large bunches of it when making taboule, the most delicious Lebanese salad.
basil.jpg

I grew a few radishes, and this one got big before I pulled it out. Then noticed these pretty flowers and now the pods, like tiny pea pods. I assume that's where the seeds are supposed to be, and will let them dry and try them next year.
radish-seed.jpg

tbc...
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote