Thread: bleach spray
View Single Post
Old July 18, 2019   #329
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjm View Post
Bill, You've probably answered this before, but how do you fit in copper and/or Daconil with your DE spraying. It seems like you'd want to avoid spraying after the DE spray.

Also, Do you think the film from spraying the DE helps prevent sunscald at all? I've lost so much foliage, that I've already lost a couple to the sun. It seems like the DE dust/film on the leaves would also prevent fungus from attaching to the leaves, but maybe that is too much to hope for.

Bret
If rain is approaching and EB is your problem then spray with Daconil before the rain. After the rain you can use bleach spray or if it rains for days you can use it between rains to lessen the diseases you will have when the rain ends. I would follow up with a copper spray after the rain has stopped unless EB is the only problem. I just haven't had much luck using copper for EB. I find Daconil far more effective at preventing it but once you get it you just have to bite the bullet and remove diseased leaves.

If you are dealing with any kind of speck or spot disease you can alternate copper and Daconil. I have had more luck with copper on those types of problems and also on preventing gray mold. As with any diseases removing the affected leaves after spraying with bleach spray is essential. With Septoria I usually end up alternating bleach and copper during times of rainy weather and using some Daconil if it is fairly dry weather as a preventative. Rainy weather and Septoria is a recipe for disaster as it spreads so fast during rainy weather and it is a hard disease to control. I get really aggressive with Septoria and spray almost daily with bleach spray if it is rainy and spend a lot of time removing leaves.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific about how to use them but for me all four things have to be used at different times and conditions. Alternating different approaches also is something that should be tried at times. To simplify.

Prolonged rainy spell: bleach, bleach, bleach, then copper
After prolonged rainy spell: prune, spray, prune, spray
Early Blight: Daconil, prune, Daconil
Gray Mold: bleach, prune, bleach, prune, copper
Spot and Speck: copper, prune, copper, prune, Daconil and prayer

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote