View Single Post
Old July 16, 2019   #47
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Back to this post. I forgot to mention one VERY important thing about vining squash. They can send down roots at the leaf nodes (if the vine is touching the ground at those nodes). So, moving vines might be almost impossible at times.
Hmmm, we shall see how that worked. For the most part the vines are growing on black Dewitt woven fabric, but I noticed they were rooting in the 4 inch square holes cut for the garlic in the outer reaches of the vine.

I found a few clusters of squash bug eggs and one entire vine turned yellow overnight so this is not as pest resistant as I had hoped.

My primary pollinator was Early Butternut Squash. The seeds were re-branded for a local garden center named Earl May. They were supposed to be bush with a moderate spread, but they vined like crazy. I also grew a single Hood River plant from old seed, but it was a weakling and I'm not sure if it producing. I haven't noticed any unusual characteristics in the immature squash resulting from the overcrowding. Aristocrat F1 and Gold Rush fill out the bed. A hybrid cantaloupe whose name escapes me know is off to the side.

I taste tested two steamed and buttered yellow squash varieties tonight; Yellow Crookneck and Gold Rush F1. The crookneck was full of seeds that needed scooping out and I vowed never to grow it again. The hybrid had few seeds in comparison which I deemed edible. I have only 2 crookneck while the hybrid is producing 20 fruit.
Flavor wise, the crookneck won hands down. Flavorful and sweet, a real treat for the first of the season.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg squash.JPG (172.7 KB, 249 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote