Thread: Corn Quandry
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2019   #41
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I picked some of my first set on Friday. They seemed a little undersized, so I forcibly ignored them until this morning, Tuesday. Lots of the little black beetles already, now, chewing up the silk and down into kernels. I see some every year. I think they are what's called Sap Beetles. So I picked about six good firm ones and six that were getting chewed up. They were all ripe. Now I have to decide if I want to pick all of the rest of that first set, or gamble. This first set has about 1/2 with two decent ears, and a few with three decent ears. None of the ears are long, though. The second set is taller and has some cobs that already darkened as well, but more that have not.

This Incredible is okay but it does not taste nearly as sweet as what I've grown the last three years. Kind of a disappointment in that regard, as well as the size. The good news is the garlic was nice and big over there, and the sweet potatoes plants look healthy enough.

Pic from last Thursday's "jumped the gun" ears. Then this morning. I guess I should go pick all the ripe ones and freeze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (201.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 91.JPG (269.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 97.JPG (162.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 98.JPG (177.1 KB, 60 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote