Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old June 19, 2019   #45
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Zipcode, I fertilized with a chicken-manure based pelleted fert with potassium sulfate in the fall. Survey says that only half of the N is available from manure in the first year, so I don't think it was too much N come spring. I did one feed with potassium nitrate in April, but the N amount was tiny. Maybe 2 pounds of N per acre, which is very little. Was doing it more to test out my new irrigation and siphon system and to give a potassium boost.
Really think it was just a few days too early.

Yeah, it seems like it. The necks start slimming down a lot when close to ripening.
Have you ever counted the leaves on your garlic? They say 13 is the maximum and ideal number. From pics I see online, I never saw 13 on hardnecks, more like 11.

biscuitridge, that looks like it still needs time ideally, but opinions are divided in this case. I personally wouldn't pull them unless the weather is bad. I would say rainy weather a good time before harvest is the number one problem for storage, more so than number of green leaves (wrappers let's say).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote