Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old June 18, 2019   #41
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the pics. I was looking for a nearby comparison. I'm about 120 mi north of Seaford, by crow. You say those pics are three days before harvest and you suspect harvest was a week early on that type.

Mine is starting to look a bit yellowed at tips, not crinkled brown like those tops yet. I think it is time, maybe past time, for me to scrape back the wood chips and let them start drying out. I have been weeding so maybe most wood chips are already scraped off. Maybe next week I dig a couple up to check them. They are raised a bit but it has been so wet, plus the main bed is below the outlet for some gutters. Also, they may be a bit too tightly planted, lots of leaves crossing/grabbing each other now. Not perfect like yours, and not much early morning sun due to the fence/trees. I broke the scapes a few days after I noticed them, and most have about a 8-12" blind scape grown out since then. I think I saw a few in your pics as well.

What is the reason for the short trimming, and would it apply to small garden and long term storage?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote