View Single Post
Old March 4, 2019   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
I have grown in-ground vegetable gardens for many years, but I'm moving my garden and building all raised beds this year. I have a long fence and an old deck to tear down, and I'll be re-using the 5/4" x 5 1/2"deck boards from those - it's pressure treated lumber, but it's almost 30 years old and weathered gray so I think it's OK to use.

My raised beds will be 3 feet wide, 15 inches deep, and of various lengths (8 feet, 12 feet, 14 feet). They'll be filled with a mixture of hauled-in topsoil and good rich compost. I grow all indeterminate tomato varieties and will be trellising the plants on wire cattle panels.

In the ground, I plant single rows of tomatoes three feet apart and trellis them. I'm hoping I can put tomatoes closer together than that, in raised beds with rich soil and good support. I want to put as many plants as I can in each raised bed without overcrowding and for maximum production and good fruit size.

So, tell me about indeterminate tomato plant spacing in raised beds, please. How close can I plant 'em? Thanks!
In the past i have made a dozen of raised beds with exact the same lumber, 3 ft by 6 ft
. I used to plant 6 per bed, due to greed and lack of space.
But i think 5 is better in a staggered form.that should give you minimum of 2ft between any neighboring plant
4 plant per bed will be generous spacing.
At any event, plants need to be supported (stake or cage) and some pruning, especially couple of feet above the ground should help air flow, under and thru the plantz.

It is all a matter of space availab ility. Now that i have plenty of garden space, i give 3 ft between the plant and 5 ft between the rows.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote