View Single Post
Old February 10, 2019   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

https://ipm.missouri.edu/MPG/2018/11/noveltyMelonTrial/

If you are on the MO side you may wish to look into the project above.

Last year I grew both Arikaira and Blacktail Mountain, varieties that are said to ripen in short season areas. I had many melons, but only the first few ripened enough to be edible. It was an unusually long and hot summer, so I should have produced sweet fruit. Either my fertilization was off, or I let the vines grow too long and produce too much fruit instead of pruning and ripening just the first few to set.

I would like to find out what I did wrong, if you have any suggestions I will follow this thread. I have plenty of seed in my library from an original source that have germinated, should you need or want additional material. Sugar Baby was a similar epic fail for several years by my former growing partner in a different local garden.

I grew on black plastic (Dewitt Woven) so that should have warmed the soil, but I wasn't able to ready the spot until June 1. My season was over the end of September. I started seed indoors.

I purchased a plant from Kaw Valley Greenhouses which is near your area and that did produce a good watermelon. I'd have to check their website to see the variety.
add - Crimson Sweet was the successful grow.

Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; February 10, 2019 at 02:20 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote