View Single Post
Old January 15, 2019   #21
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

It's basically a balancing act, I need to balance heat and lighting between greens, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant along with some herbs and bok choy. I did start out with the temps a bit higher than I should have, I had the temp spike in there a few times, but hopefully have that under control now.

I have been dropping the temp in the grow room a few degrees every few days, trying to get it at around 66 low 76 high, I am trying to reduce the swing in temp a bit also. I'll continue to start greens on the table but will move them to the floor where it is cooler once they are a few weeks old. I have to laugh that I am looking for Micro-climates in my garage in a 5sq' area

What I found odd was the Romaine and BSS didn't show signs of bolting they looked beautiful.

In the garden I have seen BSS bolt where as it starts growing tall and gets a stem.

I took the 4 heads last Friday upstairs, harvested three and had one BSS leftover, that sat on the counter, I wasn't gonna eat it, and just left it there, two days later it was growing tall, a sure sign of bolting.

The romaine I had Saturday had a little bit of the bitter milk but was perfectly fine after a rinse. The only difference was this head was a week younger.

I have a bunch of romaine on the grow table and I moved some to the floor, not sure if it's too late for them but they look fantastic, better than anything I grew outside!

I'll keep messing with the Romaine and BSS. I also have some Rocky Top Lettuce, Mustard Greens, and Arugula growing and just ordered some lettuce better suited for heat, Butterhead Adriana and Jericho Romaine,

And a few others I will be trying Coastline and Boston type Nancy.

I just need to keep tweaking and trying different things until I can come up with satisfactory results for what I want to grow indoors.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote