Thread: I'm Smoking it
View Single Post
Old January 8, 2019   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Congratulations, you made a good choice for flavor. The smoke flavor is different compared to a drum.

I can show you how to make the COS(cheap offset smoker) cook like a dream if you want some advise.

I'm not bragging just telling the truth from experience. It's a good thing you can weld!!

I might have posted the mods already here, check the tool thing thread.
Any advice welcome.
I already looked at the thread you had in the tool section and even replied in it about the fire place tiles in the fir box.

First order of business and a huge fail on the manufacturers part.
You can build a fire in the main cooking chamber but no way to flush out the ashes.

Ashes will eat steel and make it rust they all have to be removed and flushed with water.
So since I have lathe I will make a drain hole in the bottom and turn the end of a 1 inch nut to fit tightly in that hole then TIG weld it in grind off excess so it matches radius of the bottom of the cooking chamber.
Most radius grinding will be done on a vise in the shop.
Lathe threaded rod with tee handle will serve as a plug.
OR I may install three vents under the main cooking area but that can come later.
Just need to see how it works as is.
Fire box bottom too thin but that is a no brainer to modify with a better fire box if need be when the time comes.
What I do like about the fire box is it is two piece and bolts to the main chamber.
Plus it has a place to grill steaks.
Before I bolt it on I will use some high temp RTV gasket compound but you wont see it bulging out like I have seen in the videos.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote