View Single Post
Old January 3, 2019   #7
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

'Mountain Gem' was crossed to incorporate late blight , verticillium and fusarium wilt, TSWV, and TomV resistances into a large fruited determinate tomato with the crimson gene homozygous for increased lycopene and desirable bright red interior color. The TSWV (Sw-5 gene), tomato mosaic virus resistance (Tm-2 gene), Ve gene, I and I-2 genes, and crimson (ogc gene) come from a line (NC 4GEM) I developed from selfing the F1 hybrid Primo Red. The Ph-2 + Ph-3 genes for late blight resistance in the other parent (NC 1GEM) come from my NC 1CELBR line, which is a parent in Mountain Merit and some other commercial seed company hybrids. NC 1CELBR was crossed with a parent line of 'Mountain Majesty' , NC 1CS, which has the crimson gene and this hybrid was selfed to develop the NC 1GEM. NC 1GEM also has the Ve, I, and I-2 genes so 'Mountain Gem' is homozygous for these three genes. The cross to make 'Mountain Gem' is NC 4GEM x NC 1GEM.

After I released the crimson hybrid 'Mountain Majesty', I wanted to increase disease resistances in a new crimson hybrid to add late blight and ToMV resistances. 'Mountain Gem' is more compact in growth habit than 'Mountain Fresh' and Mountain Majesty' , slightly earlier in maturity with more concentrated fruit set, and has fruit as large or larger than the other two hybrids. As I mentioned in my post before this one, 'Mountain Gem' has been as high or higher in brix than 'Tasti-Lee' with equal or superior taste based on different people tasting it from several plantings. I classify it as a firm fruited slicer tomato. One grower who sells his off grade fruit to people to can, said everyone who bought 'Mountain Gem' came back and wanted only that variety for canning.

Developing superior flavor in determinate plants with concentrated fruit set, large fruit size, high yield, and firm texture is extremely difficult because it goes against what these types are able to do from a physiological standpoint. I am working toward a lot of new indeterminate hybrids with various fruit sizes, shapes, and colors that have much better flavor than the determinate types plus multiple disease resistances and will be releasing those in the future. One hybrid I developed with very good taste and texture is the pink fruited hybrid, 'Mountain Rouge'. It is the cross of my NC 161L line x 'Pink Brandywine' and has VF, nematode, and late blight resistances. It is suited mainly for home garden and local market production because it is susceptible to radial fruit cracking.

I hope you will try 'Mountain Gem' to see how it suits your needs and performs in your area. I always advise growers to do limited trials of new varieties until they are satisfied that they are superior to what they are already growing. Please let me know if you have other questions.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote