Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2018   #2502
bower
Tomatovillian™

A two day rain festival here, but will be back below freezing before the weekend. Even after the rain last night and all day today, there is still a lot of snow on the ground, and huge goblets of ice were still afloat in the several buckets I went and tipped out. Got the hoses disconnected (yes way late my bad) and cut and removed the last tomato plants from the greenhouse, was impressed to get a few more late blushers off these 'never say die' Rodneys, and aside from a few dead leaves the plants were not moldy or unhealthy, twenty days after the bitter end of the season.

The garlic beds don't have any mulch yet, and not a pretty sight that bits of frost heaved soil were still frozen on top. We have had January type freezes for several days past, and will be again by Saturday.

Seismologists reported that the island was shaking during that crazy storm. And there was an oil spill offshore which couldn't be sealed off on account of the weather, no idea how bad that will be for birds and fish alike. It is far from shore so the effects are not easy to assess.

Definitely like the idea of beach combing if I can finish up tidying the garden first I may get down there tomorrow or Thursday while we are still hovering above freezing, with hopes of some kelp to mulch the garlic. If not I will have to hunt for leaves...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote