Thread: Fruit cake?????
View Single Post
Old November 10, 2018   #157
bower
Tomatovillian™

Just read through... Worth your fruitcake with pecans looks mouth watering alright!!!! (pecans and angels are about the same for reverence in my mind!)

I leave out nuts from mine because of too many tastes of (other people's) fruitcake with stale walnuts in it. I can't stand unfresh nuts. So I prefer to make nut cake separately from fruitcake, and eat it up quick! This is of course because we have no fresh local nuts.
We always run short of fruitcake here, one giant slab doesn't satisfy the demand, so last year I got very ambitious and made two. And there is about a third of one left that has been sitting on top of my fridge for about a year, with very little attention (who wants to eat fruitcake unless it's cold out!) so for the sake of thread contribution I just hauled it down and cut and ate a piece. It has darkened a lot over the year it has been sitting, but tastes as fresh as it did when made. Fruitcake may really be an apocalypse bunker food.

Ah if I was more of a trickster I might make fruitcake every second year and fool everybody. I never tested its longevity before, because they gobble the thing up.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote