View Single Post
Old October 27, 2018   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Robert, I've always used the 10 on and 14 off to reduce stress on the plants during the winter. I've overwintered tomatoes and peppers and find that it allows them to store lots of energy. I also make sure the growing pot is larger than normal springtime pots to allow more room for the root network.

But, you have to think about having too large a pot that would possibly encourage the plant to go into full growth mode. This past season, I did a small study on when potting up is in a critical mode. Results were good and I still have one plant emerging from being what I would normally call "root bound". Marsha and Karen will find it nice to know that the one variety that has lasted the longest is their "Karma Pink".

Sadly, because of my second degree burned right hand, I will have to abandon the plant and put all my energy into healing. But, the bottom line is that you must control the area available to the plant to make an expanding root base. This stunts the overall size, and allows you to scale down fertilizers keep the plant healthy without allowing too much size expansion.

I hope this finds you "high and dry". I worry about all of our associates out there in the Lone Star State.

Signed: An old Tennessean with Davy Crockett sentiments and values. I had three cousins (they were brothers) who left Tennessee and traveled with Crockett, ending up joining with Sam Houston and helping with the total butt whipping of Santa Ana at the battle for San Jacinto.
Yes, I am happy to read about KP.
I hope your healing period is short and as painless as possible.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote