View Single Post
Old October 20, 2018   #26
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default My New Setup Going Forward

Okay, I've got the Kitchenaid milling attachment and in a few words, "I love it". After reading many reviews, I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. It was here in 4 days and that's with regular shipping. Total price was $58, and that's what I paid for the Back To Basics hand crank device I have been using for more than 11 years. I really wish I had done this years ago.

This setup requires both the Meat Grinder attachment kit and the Food Milling Attachment kit to do tomato or apple milling. A single kit is available which includes all the parts needed to do setups for both functions. I make sausage every now and then and I mill tomatoes every year.

1. From the Meat Grinder kit, you only need the main housing and the large screw-on "nut" that keeps the blades in place.

2. Mount the main pinion from the Milling kit into the Grinder housing part and then add the long feed screw and the screen and secure with the large "nut" from the grinder kit.

3. Add the housing part that comes with the milling attachment and you are ready to go. It's the part that catches the pulp and juice coming from the screen. It should hang somewhat loosely and you should be able to rotate it freely about the "Nut" mentioned above. You are officially ready to go.

Now, just feed the cut up tomatoes into the hopper and with the mixer set on speed position 4, put a juice catching bowl and a waste catching bowl in place as shown below.

KitchenAidMill1.JPG

One of the things I really like about this setup is that the part that catches the "squeezin's" rotates easily. This allows me to take a skewer or a spatula and get the thicker meat off the screen without any muss or fuss at all (2nd pix). And I was able to do 3/4 of a bushel of tomatoes without having to stop and clean the screen.

KitchenAidMill2.JPG]

The only negative I could see is that the feed hopper was a bit small. I had read ratings where the size of that hopper was a problem. However, there's a part available that can give you a large feed tray.

I only had to cut up the tomatoes slightly smaller than I had for the BTB mill. That's not a problem.

Anyhow, this Kitchenaid setup gets my unequivocal recommendation. I will have the larger feed tray and will retire my BTB handcrank machine. Setup was not such a fuss and was done in 1/4 of the time. I didn't have to be over the sink. My arm isn't tire from cranking. My shirt was not as messed up from squirts and drips from the hand crank model. Take down was easier. Cleanup was easier. I actually was able to clean the screen without going out to the garden hose.

I'll answer any questions you may have.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote