Thread: I have a bat!
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2018   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for personal experience, and I heartily agree with and appreciate all the comments.
I am worried about this lone bat which doesn't have a mate and is lost afaik, in an area where there are no others. Not only (I read) that they are social animals but hibernating alone in the winter would have to suck, without any warm bodies to huddle to.
There is actually a bat sighting hotline set up for the atlantic provinces, because they are tracking this white nose disease. Apparently it is not in Nfld yet, but they are monitoring to try and help the bat population. So I will be calling these guys to see what they make of this strange situation. Maybe they would like to rescue this bat, we'll see.
I think there are no bats in our area because there are no caves, that I know of. So there are no natural places for them to hibernate.
Also if this bat blew in on Gordon, I wonder where it came from and how far.
It appears to be a healthy animal certainly strong and a good flyer. I thought I saw it out mid afternoon today which is strange but it was warm enough to forage then. My friend brought her little boy for supper and we kept an eye out for "bat hour" but saw nothing, then took a walk around the garden after dark before they left. It was cold enough to see your breath out, and that is enough explanation for why it would venture out in the day IMO, and is not out and about tonight - nothing to eat! But needing to feed up if it's going to survive the winter.
It would be lovely to have bats as part of our ecosystem here, but that depends on there being places for them to winter. I just don't think we have natural habitat for them, or they would have been here all along.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote