View Single Post
Old September 30, 2018   #68
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
I'm growing Brandy Boy, Big Beef, Better Boy, and Big Brandy and repeating that sequence 4 times in one row to eliminate or lessen influences of any differences in soil, water availability, disease or insect pressure. All these varieties are new to me. It won't be real scientific but will plan to report back my impressions of yield, flavor and other things. I,m sure heat and resistance to scalding sun will be a factor. We've already had a few days over 90 degrees but only 85 today cause the wind's comin' again.
It was not a good tomato season for me mostly due to excessive heat and lots of drying winds. That said Big Beef was the winner in this comparison with the most, largest and best tasting tomatoes. The Brandywine crosses (Brandy Boy and Big Brandy) were next with decent taste and fair production but I didn't care for the uneven ripening and shape of most of them, perhaps due to poor growing conditions. While Better Boy started first they didn't last long and was a definite last. Next year will grow many Big Beef and my longtime favorite Celebrity.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote