View Single Post
Old September 10, 2018   #30
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it's just me but I'm not impressed with production of this new type but to be fair I treated it like I do the older cowhorn seeds I usually grow but they don't like to be neglected. I usually just mow as close to the row as possible and let the weeds grow till they get shaded out by the okra but these grew so slow I had weeds 3' tall competing with the okra for sunshine. Maybe that didn't work because these are spaced at 3' and the other okra I use a seeder and plant them closer together then thin out as they grow.

So I cleaned up the weeds, pruned the older leaves and sidedressed with triple 13 last week and that seemed to help kick in production. These were planted the first week of May during a 3 week drought and I had to water daily to get them to sprout. I'm sure the weather didn't help either, we've been having almost daily showers or heavy cloud cover for the last two months. I have at least 2 more months of growing season so we'll see what happens.

Time will tell if these get planted again next year. Maybe I'll grow them scattered with the other cowhorn plants so they can cross and that might help with earlier production.

Here's a few pics I took this morning, you can see they are just now starting to throw buds and even some of the side shoots are flowering.