View Single Post
Old September 7, 2018   #279
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes

Everything here was grown in (5 gallon containers), two plants each. The fruit is fairly blemish free for heirlooms, the yield has been good, and the taste excellent. This is easy to do.

Here you see some classics. Brandywine, Rebel Yell, Delicious, KBX, Yellow Brandywine, NAR, Chapman, a few Big Beef and a GH hybrid called Tommimaru Muchoo.

I am close to starting the clean out phase, the end of another season. I have seen a trend, an increase in folks trying tomatoes in containers, so maybe I can help with some confusion, or add to it. (LOL). I always thought it is important to give back to the community where we can. I will leave a couple of tips, and a couple comments. I really enjoy the social media online gardening relationships with many here.

Use a good tomato fertilizer tailored for containers. High K is a must, you must also include secondary elements Ca, and MgSO4-it must contain all elements used for growing plants. Flower fertilizers are not the correct mixes, ratios, or strength. Polish up on distribution of these elements for tomato growing in containers. They usually are a two-four part fertilizer.

Strength-PPM, 1200 seedlings, mature 1500-1700 without source water included. EC, 2-2.3 without source, pH 6-6.5 best, they will do okay slightly outside of these parameters.

USE CONTINUOUS FEED FERTILIZER. (Every time you water), I cannot overstate this.

Do not try your own mix, ratio, frequency of use, or strength. It has already been figured out, tested over and over. Follow the directions.

Listen to commercial growers with experience- they grow to make money, so performance is a must.

Prune, you can get away with a bunch of vines per plant in the ground, but it kills performance in a container, it also makes for a big mess. I have done side by side experiments over a (long) season, the pros have too. You can listen to them or pretend you have an angle that they do not.

Variety selection varies the most, many work good, find the best, just grow them.
Find those that YOU prefer.
If you sell, listen to your customers.
Different regions different favorites I think, but some are so good.

I well that's about it, good luck everyone. It is work, but we don't have to eat very many store tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2097.jpg (263.4 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2098.jpg (246.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2099.jpg (289.6 KB, 202 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote