View Single Post
Old July 13, 2018   #18
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks so much for chiming in Donna and I'll expand on it just a bit.

Clyde Burson Sr. said it was called both Indian Zebra as well as Indian Stripe, and if I could link to Tania's data base,which is not available now, it would say that I chose to call it Indian Stripe, I had that option,since at the time there were different versions of Green Zebra,which Tom Wagner had bred, there was a Red Zebra as well as a Black Zebra as well as an Orange Zebra and I didn't want to confuse the situation.

So yes,I grew out some seeds that Donna sent me, saved those seeds and sent some to Craig LeHouiller in NC since he was the one who first got the seeds from JD Green for what he originally called Cherokee Brick Red, and then changed it to Cherokee Purple.

Craig agreed that there was a very strong agreemment between CP and IS, but there were a few minor differences and those were:

IS has smaller fruits and more to the truss, but also has the same stripes that CP has before it is ripe, and yield is greater with IS than with CP.

Which is why, I think Donna may have said it above,IS is for many more popular than CP. And both CP and IS have PL versions, another instance of the relationship.

Pete, I know no one who has does genetic testing with heirloom tomatoes but in the past it has been done with some F1 hybrids, but that's a much longer story.

However, various heirloom varieties have been put into categories of relationship according to their gs alleles,of which there are several alleles.

Carolyn,who was looking in a recent SSE Annual Yearbook for something and saw someone saying that it was Craig LeHoullier who first discovered Indian Stripe.NOT. I've known Craig since the late 80's, we kind of met via SSE Yearbooks.

Let us not forget the breeder of these delicious dark tomatoes, Joe McFerran and his colleagues at the University of Arkansas. A brilliant man in the agricultural arena.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/obituari...an-2011-12-17/

seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote