View Single Post
Old July 12, 2018   #21
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Well, a bit longer than "a day or so," but here are some pictures of the dwarfs as of July 11. These were all planted around the second week of May, so about 2 months into the season. All the plants look quite good, with very little disease. I've sprayed 3 times thus far, which is already more than I usually do in a season. But I think most of the good fortune with Septoria is the relatively dry summer this year. I have ripe fruit off all the plants except Dwarf Purple Heart and Perth Pride (which was started much later than the others).

A few comments:
1. Dwarf Velvet Night quit splitting after the the first several fruit. It is going to be a good producer of 2-oz. fruit with very good flavor. They are a nice medium-dark, purple-pink color -- very attractive, I think.

2. Dwarf Pink Passion continues to out-perform. It is early, quite disease free, a big-time producer, and has a nice mild taste. The early ones were 3 oz, and the later ones are 4 oz+.

3. Dwarf Purple Heart has the most disease of the bunch. it is on the north side of the EarthBox, and in general, the north side plants have a bit more leaf issues.

4. Perth Pride has BER on several of the first-set green tomatoes. Later ones seem OK, so perhaps it has outgrown that issue.

5. Coastal Pride Orange is a very good dwarf. It is among the tallest of the group, but still at around 4 ft. currently, and reasonably narrow.

6. I just picked the first Chocolate Lightning. Really interesting color with the olive-green/gold stripes. It is going to be a big producer also, as others have indicated.

7. Husky Cherry Red is loaded with 1" cherries. Good, sweet flavor. Definitely better than any red micro-dwarf I've grown. It is still a slow, steady grower. It's easy to see why a lot of these plants are sold commercially.

Coastal Pride Orange, Dwarf Pink Passion, Chocolate Lightning, Dwarf Golden Heart, and Perth Pride (#1-5) are on the south side of the row.
Dwarf Arctic Rose, Better Bush, Dwarf Velvet Night, Dwarf Purple Heart, and Husky Cherry Red (6-10) are on the north side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coastal Pride Orange 7-11-18.jpg (175.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Pink Passion 7-11-18.jpg (160.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Chocolate Lightning 7-11-18.jpg (173.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Golden Heart 7-11-18.jpg (159.2 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Perth Pride 7-11-18.jpg (146.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Arctic Rose 7-11-18.jpg (203.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Better Bush 7-11-18.jpg (195.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Velvet Night 7-11-18.jpg (161.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Husky Cherry Red 7-11-18.jpg (198.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Purple Heart 7-11-18.jpg (207.3 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 13, 2018 at 03:59 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote