View Single Post
Old July 10, 2018   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I talked to a couple at the comm garden today and they say they have seen it happen before, but don't know the cause.

I'll have to check my haphazard notes and see if this was from my saved seed from last year or two, or if it is directly from a tomatoville trade. Admittedly, this is the first year the plants are under control enough to make it obvious. I grew CP last year, eight plants florida weaved, about 18" spacing, but did not take suckers off (til aka "sappers" to you New Jersey types). Basically I got three nice and early sets of tomatoes from each plant, then a few here and there before they were burnt out from blight. Last year was wet. Previous to that I grew it in cages and let them go. Would have been cages this year too, except look at that spacing! With cages down the middle I couldn't even fit through without walking in sideways! After planting like that I had no choice but to weave the middle row which happened to be CP.

Bower, that makes sense. I'm looking at those trusses and wondering how big the tomatoes could really get if that many are going. Also I'll need to get creative with truss support. What do you suggest for fertilizer? They are in raised rows of compost, maybe some carp compost as well, with 10-10-10 and epsom salt before planting. Also, pole beans there the last two seasons. I generally don't water or fertilize during the season.

There were so many flowers, I broke my tuning fork last week... When I saw those trusses today and really looked them over, I ordered another one!

Last edited by JRinPA; July 10, 2018 at 01:16 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote