Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old July 4, 2018   #2306
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

This dry weather scares me as well. Yesterday there were huge popups south of us in chester co., and east of us in bucks co. I hoped it would hit here as well, but no, still dry as a bone here. We got 6 tenths from a fast mover last Thurs 4am, but many lawns are brown now.

A house down the street burned a few years back about 11pm on the night of the 4th. That year was the second or third year the new development people were shooting them off like crazy. I cannot believe their neighbors there abide it. Basically any type of rocket was illegal at that time. Down the street from me, there were also some new double homes thrown up next to the cemetery a while back. I saw people shooting them off there as well, on the gravel road between the house and cemetery. That night, the roof of the end double caught fire. Burned the roof and half the upstairs. Weeks later I read it was ruled an upstairs window AC unit that caught on fire, while a teenager was sleeping upstairs. At 11pm. On the 4th.

Did I mention the owner was a volunteer fireman? I couldn't even say for sure if there was an AC in that window, with me driving by it 6 times a day for years. The roof was fixed and house sold within the next year.

The next year was wet and the pyros more reserved. The last couple years it has gotten bad again.

This year it is as dry as it was the year of the roof fire, probably worse. The real kicker - our greedy state gov has seen $ $ and now made those type fireworks perfectly legal in PA in exchange for a 12% state sales tax on them. Supposedly the law also says you can't use them within 150 feet of any occupied building. And where is that, exactly, with who to enforce it? In someone's dry woods or in some farmer's field of raked wheat straw?

Last edited by JRinPA; July 4, 2018 at 09:25 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote