View Single Post
Old July 1, 2018   #606
bower
Tomatovillian™

Don't give up on the bouquets, Cole! They are lovely in their own right and obviously have a market. But if the market goers are buying loose material to arrange their own bouquets, that's a good idea to increase your sales by offering some as well. You have fantastic focal blooms and the bulrush is a stunning linear element, I could see those selling to someone making their own, too!

I was reading about floral design, and found this page that is like a coles notes of the subject. So for your table, you could group focals, linear elements and filler in three buckets for those buying by the stem, for example. I don't know if the casual consumer intellectualizes how they arrange flowers, but I found it helpful to me to understand why I am especially attracted to certain arrangements. To my eye it is the contrasts that make the difference - color, size, texture, shape. And I personally am drawn to asymmetrical arrangements too. Anyway it is just words but food for thought in the biz. Hopefully it will help me to do it better next time I get the chance...
http://www.botanicadirect.com/en/flo...ign/index.html

I was looking at some pics too online, here are some examples and thoughts about it. (As an artist btw, I learned to think critically and also to never take criticism negatively. Criticism is the gift that helps me to improve - and even if I disagree in the end, an opportunity to reflect on the art and understand my audience a little better. Constructive critics are best, but even harsh words are like morsels of chocolate to me that I gobble up with a smile! So forgive me for having so much to say, but this is what I like to do best...)
This first one reminds me of the bouquets I made at the farm. All the elements are there but a little bit rustic or sloppy.
The second one has great contrast and amazing texture in the filler, but the focals are not nicely balanced at least from the angle that the pic was taken, and linear elements are absent or weak.
The third one has very nice color contrast and a more or less equal balance between focals, linear elements and leaf shape in the filler. This one reminds me of the lovely contrast between focal and linear elements in the bouquets on the left of your table in the first pic.
The last one I think is the best one I saw last night. Surprising to me it has almost no greenery at all, no neutral colors, and yet the contrast is superb, not only the yellow and reds but the balance of small and large is really pleasing. The use of unopened buds as linear elements is also great for the buyer, as they will continue to change and contribute to the value of the bouquet over time.
Attached Images
File Type: png bouquetbalances.png (170.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: png bouquetbalance.png (532.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: png bouquetpoplar.png (698.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: png bouquet-largesmallbalance.png (333.1 KB, 166 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote