View Single Post
Old June 29, 2018   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

Tx, Taboule. If I'd known about that boulder I might not have been so ambitious!
It is really a pleasure to work with a natural feature that isn't flat... the design has to emerge from it's own character.

My first garden here was built on the flat gravel scar that was left after building. So I made raised beds and laid them out as a compass. You can see the basic shapes in winter, and of course I used stone to enclose the beds - we have so much of it around, might as well...
I spent a lot of years digging organic material into those clay beds, but they are still kind of poor. However the herbs and perennials that I planted here and which survived and/or naturalized, don't mind it a bit. The garden in August is a riot of flowers, and the paths are overgrown for the most part...some of the perennials are huge. It is a "no care" permaculture that doesn't require any watering or other effort, but it does benefit from some weeding in spring and from occasional reduction of the more invasive things to keep it diverse. In recent years I've been reclaiming some space outside the compass for garlic and vegetable beds. It is also a lot nicer when the paths are whippersnipped as we did last summer... so I want to do that again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-snowy-compass.jpg (323.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-augustgarden.JPG (513.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg lovage-inbloom.JPG (481.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-aug-flowers.jpg (461.6 KB, 74 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote