Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2018   #2211
bower
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years ago, some farmers in Nova Scotia turned us onto the Norwegian weather site at yr.no. They give really detailed forecast for all over the world, much more detailed than our own forecasters provide, with wind direction as it changes by the hour. Speeds are usually lower than actual (or they measure steady wind speed vs the gusts which really count and are a feature of the climate here) but knowing that, they are a good indicator. Their temperatures are usually off by a degree or two as well, as the model doesn't take into account the chilling effect of the water. But other than that it is really useful. Their precip estimates tend to be spot on and I have seen them beat our own forecasters at that game many times.
I know what you mean about microclimate, it can make a huge difference. I have frost again this morning, but a few km away at my mother's place there'll be none.
I'm just on the edge of the "sun belt" that is CBS, which has much warmer and more pleasant weather than St. John's in the other direction. Yr.no gives forecasts for both, so I alternate between the two depending on the weather concerns of the day.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote