View Single Post
Old May 10, 2018   #72
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
1. X-rays probably wouldn't be of a level that would harm seeds. It just doesn't take that much intensity to image such a thin light package as an envelope of seeds. X-rays might harm film though, and there is special packaging available to protect film.

2. The irradiation would definitely be more of a concern, since it's purpose is sterilizing possible biological agents with heat, what it's really doing is "cooking" the mail. But it is only done to mail going to certain government offices in 202-205xx zip codes.

3. The seeds are rather flat, so I don't think going through the processing equipment is going to crush them or anything either.

4. So I think we can eliminate most normal theories as to mailing causing the low germination rates.
1. I agree with this. I did Quality Assurance on a new technology (back in 1991) that used X-rays on electronic circuit boards to determine whether soldering was making good connections underneath integrated circuits where visual inspection was not possible. I did the measurements to verify the processes. The amount of radiation used to show the joints was less than the amount received from a 21 inch television which used a CRT (cathode ray tube) if you were 8 inches from the screen. Assuming that improvements have been made since then, this is a non-starter for our discussion.

2 Can't rule this one out, but it seems unlikely. Lots of seeds go thru the mail and are still viable.

3. Strongly disagree with this statement. About 10 years ago, Ted Corbett and I did some pictures of seeds that had gone thru the USPS's new roller systems and the physical damage was easy to see. One of the indicators at that time was residue on the inside of the small plastic ziplocks and sandwich bags. The seeds had been crushed or cracked and pieces flaked off to expose the insides. There is a thread somewhere that shows the photography and discussions. Maybe someone can find it and give us the link.

4. Not so. One of the conclusions the discussions came to was the addition of a padding to cushion the effects of the USPS rollers. Putting a layer of paper towel on both sides of our little baggies inside the mailing envelope became our best "fix".

Shawn did a super job of putting that padding around the seeds when he mailed them. As many envelopes as he had to do to make this project happen, I give him my highest respect. That had to be really tedious.

So, The post office is cleared except for the irradiation aspect. However, I still think that it is "unlikely". This problem has to be with the seed harvesting processes. For those of us who save and distribute thousands of seeds and hundreds of plants every year, it is easier to see. It would seem that KarenO and I share this conclusion.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote