View Single Post
Old May 4, 2018   #14
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
It looks like Late Blight to me and it's a killer. Plants die shortly after you discover that they are infected and once they are infected, there is no cure.

Late Blight is carried by the wind and lands on your plants so it usually starts at the top of the plants. Early blight usually starts on the bottom leaves and moves much more slowly. I have never had a plant die of EB but several years ago I had my entire crop wiped out by LB.

I spray Actinovate starting in Late July as a preventative. some people say that this does not work but I think that it helps. If I would happen to see a plant infected with LB , I would immediately pull it out because there is no hope it will survive and spray the rest of them with copper.

LB arrives here in August when days are humid and nights are cool. When the nights are still hot like in July LB is not an issue.

I get my tomatoes started early enough that if LB gets them in August, it's still sad but at least by then I have already had a decent harvest.
This all started at the bottom of the plant.
I’d had a baby mid June, so wasn’t as attentive to my plants as I usually am. The leaves had started to yellow at the bottom, and before this all took hold I had some pictures that I took where you could see it starting on the stems. Splotches of black. I just hadn’t noticed. So it’s possible it started much earlier. I only noticed when I went out one day and a plant was almost dead. It happened over night. Those are the pictures above.
gimmieToms is offline   Reply With Quote