View Single Post
Old April 15, 2018   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

There is a ton of info out there on the internet, but everyone's climate is so different and specifics as to dates and locations are rarely listed. I've never had trouble with tomatoes, but I don't rush them and usually transplant them on overcast/coolish spells. I just don't have a very good feel for spring transplants yet. I know few people that even do spring crops, let alone push the envelope at all.

My peas and beets are up. They peas took about 3 weeks. With lettuces, spinach, and chard, I experimented a bit. I built a set of cold frames from scrap wood to lay on the beds with a glass window on top. The day after I made them I seeded some rows, and also put in some very young transplants to compare to. The seeds came up pretty fast even with below freezing nights. The transplants I want to put in now are from the same start date, mid March, but have been living under the lights a lot longer. Basically I'm trying to figure out what crop works better which way. I was hoping this year I would figure it all out...

Quote:
GUSTUS -A newer variety with great taste and high yields! An excellent variety for home gardens and markets. Gustus is an early maturing with mid-green, firm buttons that are evenly spaced on the stalk. A high yielding sprout that grows 24″ tall. Sprouts weight 6 oz. with a smooth texture and cabbage-like flavor. === from urban farmer
Sounds like you know something they don't! 6ft! And a summertime producer. I have noticed the same with peas. Cascadia are supposed to be 30" or something, sugar sprint 26", but mine go 5'+. Kath if you have any extra gustus plants that need a home, I am open to adoption! 6 oz brussel sprouts!? I grew Dagan last year...they were good but little tiny buggers. This is exactly the kind of thing I need to learn - I appreciate it.

mobiled, I have not had any problems with beans and birds. Its only been a few years for me, but bush beans in the beds and pole beans in the garden have been fine. I put a fence around the garden for rabbits and groundhogs though, and I build the bean trellis and then seed under it in June. I've been told the latest date for a good bush bean crop here is July4, so last year I did three succession bush plantings until then. Worked well enough. Cardinals love the trellis but they are after the bugs and worms, not the beans. If birds are a problem I would suggest sowing seed in ground but just lay a fabric over them for a couple weeks. I use that AG19, bought at nolt's down on rt23. That would work fine for protecting beans. I may have done it last summer with bush beans - I honestly can't recall. I definitely use it that way over spring and fall peas, as well as okra. I lay in so many beans there is no way I would consider transplanting them.

PhilaG, the winds really have picked up. Right around dark the temp just plummeted from 80 or so. 44 now. We should have known it would be a screwy year when the Eagles won.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote