View Single Post
Old March 14, 2018   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have never grown any amaryllis inground. We don't do that here in upstate NY,but clearly in the south you do. Uphere you buy those boxes that have the bulb,container and growing medium supplied and you do it about 6 weeks before Xmas. I used to get a bulb catalog from the Netherlands and they have an outlet here in the US,so you order with a US phone number and your bulbs are sent, well,they decide that based on their charts for temps in each state.

Bulbs that I always dig up in the Fall to store in a paper bag in a cool pale would include,well,especially dahlias.

This place where I now live has a profusion of bulbs, a few added by me, but most by the previous owners, and I've been here now for 17 years.

What they planted were all kinds of Narcissus, snow drops,Lily of the Valley, not tulips, I added them and yes some do come back if they have a heavy snow cover.Also Scilla, hyacinths and much more.

When I moved here there was a poppy,pink,that almost everyone had in their gardens, me too, probably spread by birds.

Carolyn